KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
Yuba City Council 5978
The Knights of Columbus is the largest Catholic Family Fraternal Organization in the world. Founded in New Haven, Connecticut in 1882 by a young Irish priest, the Venerable Father Michael J. McGivney, the Order has grown to over 1,760,000 men and their families in over 13,400 councils around the world. Like our Brother Knights throughout the world, the Yuba City Council is committed to the exemplifications we were taught of charity, unity, fraternity, patriotism. Called "...the strong right arm of the Church" by Pope John Paul II, we Knights stand in solidarity with our Bishops, Priests, and Religious. The Order is consecrated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Knights of Columbus are unequivocal in their loyalty to the Pope, the Vicar of Christ on earth. We Knights are firmly committed to the protection of human life, from conception to natural death, and to the preservation and defense of the family. Yuba City Council #5978 is open to all Catholic men, 18 years of age and older, who are in good standing with the Holy See.
Many Catholics have known about the Knights of Columbus for decades, yet still know them as merely "the pancake breakfasts guys". Those outside our Order typically do not truly appreciate what the Knights do for our priesits, our parish, and our community. Some of these activities taken on by Brother Knights on behalf of our larger parish and civic community include:
- National and State Activities
- Parish Activities:
- Assisting with the reconstruction and refurbishment of the Old Parish Hall for parish use
- Serving as Lay Ministers and Deacons within the parish
- Monthly workdays at church and repairs on church and rectory grounds
- Financial underwriting support of the St. Isidore Parish web site
- Community Activities:
- Annual fund raising for the "Campaign for People with Intellectual Disabilities"
- Fund raising for support of our parish food locker, R.C.I.A., and other charities.
- Council Activites:
- Moral support to council members who are ill
- Provision of food and beverages for parish functions
- Council "Social [K]Nights" for fraternal development
- Conducting regular Blood Drives for area hospitals and blood banks
- Family Activities:
- Monthly second Sunday pancake breakfast
- Regular Pasta Feed dinners after Saturday evening mass
- Conduct the annual Crab Feed for the parish community
- Youth Activities:
- Every year the Knights award college scholarships to local high school students
- Financial support and hands-on help to assist the mission of St. Isidore Catholic School
- Financial support of our Youth Ministry and "Life Teen"
- Participation in the K of C national level youth basketball "Free Throw" contest
- Participation in the K of C national "Soccer Challenge" contest
- Construction, reconstruction, and funding of St. Isidore School projects (e.g. recreational field)
- PROLIFE ACTIVITIES:
- Purchased, erect, and coordinate remembrance stones for the parish's Memorial for the Unborn.
- Provision of funds for the Diocesan "Project Rachel" in support of their post-abortion healing and reconciliation programs.
- Provision of funds to the Bishop Gallegos Maternity Home
- "Walk for Life" in San Franciso
- Provision of funds to the Sacramento Life Center in the Diocese of Sacramento.
Yuba City Council 5978 Officers Hal Himenes Grand Knight Bill Daugherty Deputy Grand Knight Neal Brown Chancellor Gary Corrado Advocate Bob Guerin Financial Secretary Bob Cortese Treasurer Gary Bailey Recording Secretary Fr. Michael Baricuatro Chaplain Mike Beighley Warden Manny Manansala Inside Guard Wayne Robison Outside Guard David Perez Jr First Year Trustee Joseph Patane Jr Second Year Trustee Mike Lee Third Year Trustee Edwin Gomez District Deputy (District 4) Stephen Naratil Supreme Field Agent Representative Todd Cabral General Insurance Agent
Council Officers Installation on July 15, 2009
Every year the Knights award a college scholarship.
Visit some of our other Knights of Columbus pages:
Past Grand Knights Page
All men, young and old, of the St. Isidore's Parish Community are encouraged to join and participate in these activities with our Brother Knights.
If you are interested please contact any of the officers or members or ask for more information through the St. Isidore Webservant.
Past Parish Events